Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 6.2 Work Ethic and Being Busy

In Chapter 4 the authors say that the work ethic also shapes our very idea of what it means to be busy. Few years back one of co-workers gave me a book about "Time Management for System Administrators" by Thomas A. Limoncelli. This book helped me understand how as a System Administrator I can manage time. As System Admins, we get interrupted by phone calls from customers, someone looking for information, an important ticket, or unexpected outages etc., and it is very difficult to have 3-4 hours of continuous uninterrupted time. I used to write post notes and paste them all over my desk to remember things, my thinking was by doing that I will not get distracted from the task i am doing then. Now I categorize things, I look at the task and if it takes less than 10 minutes i will do that then itself as I am already distracted and posting a note will keep distracting me until it is done. For tasks that take longer i look at my schedule and make an appointment so that at that time i can get it finished. This helped me get more organized.

No comments: