Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 6.1 Culture and Subcultures

Chapter 4 talks about Culture and Subcultures. The authors mention that the members of a subculture identify themselves with a distinct group within the larger culture, interact regularly with this group, and often share perceptions and understandings of central problems.

While reading this I was trying to think how this is at work. I was initially part of one group in IT and then transferred to another group last year. Even though there are a lot of things in common, there were some clear differences in the way the took groups look at certain things. Most of the things are directly related to the work we do and how we prioritize the work we do. Each group has a different perception on which is important and have their own definition of which is more important.

2 comments:

Professor Cyborg said...

I do wish Cheney et al. had used the term co-cultures rather than subcultures. The "sub" suggests those smaller groups are less important. "Co" places them at the same level and all contributing in some way to the larger culture.

Units in organizations often do develop their own ways of doing things--their own co-cultures. So while there may be threads of commonality, as you found out, there are differences. For example, even with the College of Social Sciences, each department has norms for running meetings, advising students, and similar tasks.

PinkLady said...

At work, I actually work equally with two different groups: Finance and Investor Relations. It's amazing how different these two groups are. The communication process and goals are completely different. Although both groups are part of the same organization and possess some similar qualities and goals, for the most part they are very different. I found that both groups had different expectations and work styles. For example, the finance manager would assign me a task or project and expect me to get it done immediately her way. The investor relations manager would give me a project and a dealine and let me decide how I wanted do it. Initially it was very difficult for me to adjust to these two completely different work styles.