Sunday, November 30, 2008

Week 15-1 Cross-cultural Communication Issues in USA and India Organizations

Kartik's web poster was on the subject of "Cross-cultural Communication Issues in USA and India Organizations". He did a very good job on summarizing the articles and presenting the important things to consider. I am from India and I had to go thorough similar experiences when I came to this country initially. Kartik makes a very good point about expatriate employees working for US organizations in India and this might help organizations deal with the cultures better and be a good interface between the headquarters an the offices in India. After reading the this web poster and points about how people in India might expect more feedback from their managers, I went to my companies website and looked for the Organizational Chart of some of the Business Groups and their teams in India, I could clearly see the number of people reporting to a manager were much less than in US and also there were team leads assigned that were responsible for sub-groups under a manager.

1 comment:

Ibirapuera said...

I also agree that Kartik did a fabulous job on summarizing the articles and highlighting the main points of his theme. Although I am not from India, I understand your point of view. When I was still living in Brazil I could see clearly the cultural differences between Brazilian employees and expatriates from at all companies I worked for.

At these companies, it was common employees to get together for happy hour on Fridays. Brazilians make jokes all the time. So it was not unusual to see an expression of “what are you talking about?” stamped on expatriates’ faces. Now that I live in the US I sometimes experience situations where I not always know what Americans are talking about. The main challenge to me, when it comes to English, is still idiomatic expressions and slangs.